In recent years, many states, districts, and schools have directed new efforts to supporting students for postsecondary success.
Initiatives at all levels and in various areas — from expanded early warning systems to revised guidance approaches to collaborations with local business, non-profits, and colleges — have yielded insights of tremendous benefit to others exploring similar initiatives. In fact, a daunting amount of online and in-print information is available! With so many resources, where to start?
The Everyone Graduates Center Pathways to Adult Success project has compiled training materials, real-life examples, and research foundations for a variety of topics, and organized them to create a place where educators and researchers can find the resources they need to develop and promote new initiatives.
HOW TO BEGIN
HOW TO START SOMETHING VIABLE
Starting something viable/ reasonable means starting something that is doable in the short term and is likely to produce early gains that help solidify buy-in . . .
HOW TO BUILD BUY-IN
“Buy-in” is broad-based understanding of and commitment to the importance of using an early warning system to improve college and career readiness in schools . . .
HOW TO BRING AN EQUITY LENS TO THE WORK
“Bringing an equity lens” means making sure that students of every socio-economic background, race, ethnicity, gender, etc., are provided equitable opportunities and supports to discover their talents and interests and develop the skills needed to pursue the post-secondary pathways of their choice. It also means being attentive to the default tendency to sort students of a particular gender or background into specific stereotypical pathways.
HOW TO PROVIDE
POSTSECONDARY PATHWAYS FOR ALL
- How to find out what the current postsecondary outcomes are
- How to develop life and social skills for adult success
- How to provide postsecondary exposure opportunities (in advance) for students
- How to provide good postsecondary guidance to all students
- How to develop viable career pathways within middle and high school programs
- How do we provide navigation supports for all the key postsecondary institution application and enrollment steps
- How to provide postsecondary academic supports to increase postsecondary readiness
HOW TO USE
EARLY WARNING SYSTEMS